The Yukon Avalanche Association was formed in 2010. We are a not-for-profit organization dedicated to promoting avalanche awareness, public safety and preparedness for those who recreate in avalanche terrain.
Through a close relationship with Avalanche Canada we advocate for local interests, support a community of backcountry information sharing, and foster a culture of avalanche awareness in the territory.
It is our goal to ensure that everyone travelling in avalanche terrain is informed and prepared for the risks. We aim to assess and fill the needs of local avalanche safety as they evolve.
Our main activities include:
- Promoting avalanche awareness through outreach activities, events and information.
- Working with local companies and Avalanche Canada to ensure that courses and training are offered in the Yukon.
- Raising funds to support our local community of sledders, skiers, snowboarders and other backcountry recreationists.
- Inviting industry professionals to share their knowledge through a series of talks and local backcountry community events.
If you have questions about training, events, or need further information, please browse our site or get in touch.
The Yukon Avalanche Association is run by a Board of Directors elected each year at our Annual General Meeting.
Board Members for 2019-2020
President - Chris Sheadon,
- email: email@example.com
Vice President - Rachel Ford
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Treasurer - Andrew Bruemmer
- email: email@example.com
Secretary - Brad Halt
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Communications Director - Ben Horowitz
- email: email@example.com
Avalanche Programs Director - Jasmin Dobson
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Membership Director - Dale Heffernan
- email: email@example.com
Outreach Director - Julie Thomas
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Events Director - Chris Butler
- email: email@example.com
Snowmobile Director - Katrine Frese
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Assets Director - Sarah Chan
- email: email@example.com
Inter-Agency Director - Drew Lyness
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Director at large - Sean Cox